(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gone for the Weekend: Touchdown Palawan

Day One

Unplanned trip. Unexpected pleasures.

Puerto Princesa is topping my list for my travel destination next year. If not for my dear sister Ces who backed out from her trip with her office mates, I wouldn't be able to explore its unrivaled beauty by the year ends. I was hesitant to go because of financial constraint but my itchy feet told me I should go to break away from work. With my 5k on hand, a credit card, a fake Id, and my lonely planet travel guide on my backpack, I decided to go.

 I left Kalibo at around 6pm of December 6 bound for Iloilo and took the first flight off to Puerto Princesa, Palawan the next day. I was in a real backpacking mode by that time and so eager to reach Bambi's place myself but to my surprise, Wacks fetched me at the airport, and the whole backpacking mode ended. haha
(Bambi was my best buddy back in college. He ventured his business - the Katabom Bar&Resto in PPS and offered Wacks a job as bar tender. Wacks happen to be one our close friends,too. On the otherhand, Bambi's parents: Tatay Rufo and Nanay Glenda acquired a house around the city and that's where I'm crashing for three days. )

As we drove along Rizal Ave., I can't help but be surprised to see a city within a forest - a model city of cleanliness, indeed. We stopped at Katabom Bar for awhile, decided to leave my bag at Bambi's place then head off to Crocodile Farm now known as Palawan Wildlife and Conservation Center about 30 minutes drive from the city.


Wacks  volunteered to be my tour guide only to realize, he also needs a map to take us there. haha
 Both first-timers and we just love getting lost and all the pleasant surprises in between.


As we entered the main building, we were greeted by a huge sea water crocodile's skin of Maracascas hang on the wall and its skeleton inside a glass casket. According to the tour guide, Maracascas was caught somewhere in the island and was killed after eating half of a child's body. 
..salt water crocodile can grow this big! :)

We passed through the main hall that led us to the Hatchling House where the little crocs are well taken care of and are segregated in basins according to their different levels of maturity. Tourists are advised not to use flash from their cameras so as not to disturb and cause stress to these hatchlings.







Next to the Hatchling House, we proceeded to see the cages for the bigger and older crocodiles. The crocodile den has a metal path just above it so the visitors can take a look at them from afar. They seem to look so innocent but when they start to make a move, I was so damn scared like hell. whew.. 



After the guided tour, we explored the rest of the nature park with pens for ostriches, cages for birds - the Philippine cockatoo and the bear cats.





Although some of the areas are not properly managed, the birds and other endemic species still adds attraction to the park. Wacks and I enjoyed taking pictures and when we got tired, had some snacks at the food stall, bought crocodile key chains and decided to leave the area. 

Our next stop is the Baker's Hill located at Mitra Road, Barangay Santa Monica. This was featured before by Jessica Soho on tv a few years ago and it was far different from seeing it with my own eyes. No entrance fee is required in this disney-inspired compound where you get to see life-sized images of Marilyn  Monroe and Captain Jack Sparrow among others. Baker's Hill is famous for its home-made freshly baked pastries - from hopia to chocolate crinkles that are best for pasalubongs.




Camera started clicking and the naughty pose of Wacks harassing Miss Marilyn Monroe, which of course I directed, made the passers-by giggled. The nuns-on-tour who saw us can't help but uttered: "Susmaryosep". haha

Just a few meters away from the Baker's Hill, we drove to Mitra's Ranch to catch a scenic view of Honda Bay. No entrance fee again so we took advantage of feasting our eyes with such a lovely sight. 


Dying to have a perfect jump shot, I tried my best to be good at it, but after ten jumps, this is all I've got.. huhuhu
I so hate you, Wacksss!!!! 

Residence of former Senator Ramon Mitra located right on top of the hill.



Exhausted from driving and starving to death, we went back to the city and took our late lunch around 3pm at Pancake House. I thought I'll use my credit card to spare me from spending my cash but unfortunately, they are not accepting American Express credit card so that left me only P2,800 from  my pocket. :)

Whoah.. not bad for my first day of exploring Palawan's beauty.


I've just been given a gift of weekend for myself. I took a break from life's routine and felt good about it. When was the last time you decide to take the risk for unplanned trips? If you haven't experience one, it's never too late to start. -rissa
























No comments:

Post a Comment